This fresh mouth-watering salad makes a wonderful, substantial but light meal, perfect for a quick lunch or a lazy dinner! The simple cilantro-lime vinaigrette brings the whole salad together and also serves as a marinade for the smoked salmon, making it even more yummy and flavourful!
This salad is very simple but it's definitely AH-MAZING. I'm not usually one to eat salads as a meal, but this Smoked Salmon Salad is so fresh and satisfying, I actually cannot wait to make this again for lunch!
The key to a great salad is in the balance of textures and flavours. Freshness from the spring mix, the crunchy red onions and radishes, creaminess of the avocado, smokiness from the smoked salmon, and the savoury, limey vinaigrette make a perfect combination of textures and flavours.
One important note: don't forget to soak the sliced red onions in cold water before tossing the salad together. This process reduces the intensity of that pungent raw red onion flavour.
On to the other important element of this dish: the cilantro lime vinaigrette! If you know us, we love to mix it up and make every dish a bit of Asian fusion, hence the use of soy sauce in the vinaigrette!
The soy sauce not only gives the salad that extra savouriness, but it also serves as an excellent marinade for the smoked salmon. The cilantro-lime-soy sauce combination is similar to the yuzu sauce that some chefs use to serve their sashimi in Western Japanese restaurants, something that we tried to re-create in this salad. The soy sauce adds flavour while the acidity from the lime cuts the richness of the smoked salmon to make it a bit lighter. Perfect vinaigrette for this salad!
Love, love, love this Smoked Salmon Salad! And definitely obsessed with the cilantro lime vinaigrette! Just look at that glistening, rich, yummy-looking piece of smoked salmon in the picture! If you're looking for a quick salad meal that's gonna satisfy your appetite, this is the dish for you!
Enjoy this recipe and if you're craving for more salad recipes, check out our Asian Cold Noodle Salad with Peanut Butter Sesame Dressing and Avocado Crab Salad with Asian Sesame Dressing.
- 1/4 lbs smoked salmon cut into 2 inch long pieces
- 4 cups spring mix salad
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 5 red radishes thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado cut into wedges
- toasted walnuts for topping
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 lime's juice
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- Soak the sliced red onions in cold water for 5-10 minutes. Drain water and pat dry red onions using paper towels.
- In a large bowl, toss together the spring mix salad, sliced red onions, sliced red radishes, and avocado wedges.
- Blend fresh cilantro with olive oil in a food processor and transfer to a small bowl. Add the low-sodium soy sauce, lime juice, and honey and mix well until the honey is well dissolved in the sauce.
- Add the smoked salmon into the salad mix and pour the cilantro lime vinaigrette over the salad. Toss to coat and top with chopped toasted walnuts.
Leave a Reply