This Korean cheese ramen requires minimal effort and is the perfect meal for when you need something quick, cheap, and delicious! The milk and cheese makes this ramen so creamy and satisfying to eat, and uses only one pan from start to finish.
What is Korean Cheese Ramen
Korean cheese ramen is literally cheese with a pack of instant Korean ramen. It is a classic comfort food and has become wildly popular across the world these past few years, thanks to Tiktok! Adding cheese to classic dishes have become a Korean staple and we're here for it. Some other examples are budae jjigae, dakgalbi and buldak. This dish is perfect for when you're craving something hearty and filling, yet so easy and quick to make. This Korean cheese ramen takes 5 minutes to make and requires only a handful of ingredients.
The inspiration behind the dish
We love instant ramen and have to resist not eating them everyday. It's definitely not the healthiest meal, but it's one of our guilty pleasures! This is by no means I healthy recipe, but sometimes you just got to indulge in cheap, quick and delicious meals. We love trying new instant ramen, and variations, and this one is definitely one we'll keep in the books. We've seen a cheese instant ramen like this one, which is also very delicious but is not as easy to find in store, and is definitely super spicy. Making it at home make this dish much more versatile and easy to customize.
More related recipes:
Which cheese to use
We personally used good old cheddar sliced cheese, as we often see it served in Korean restaurants. Not gonna lie, it also makes our inner child so happy! Of course, there's healthier options (Is there such a thing as healthy cheese though?). We recommend the following:
- Mozzarella is a good option. It is mild and balance very well with spicy flavors. However, keep note that mozzarella usually take longer to melt.
- Cheddar is our cheese of choice. It's smooth, yet slightly sharp and tangy. It also melts very easily!
- Parmesan can be added for an extra cheese flavor.
- Cream Cheese is also a nice choice if you want your Korean cheese ramen to be extra creamy.
What we love about this simple recipe is that you can literally add anything to it! For us, we like to whip up this recipe when we're in a rush (or, let's be honest, lazy) and we'll simply eat it with something pickled on the side to contrast the richness and creaminess of the ramen. Try it with your spicy Korean cucumber salad! However, if you would like a more balance meal, here are a few popular ramen toppings:
- Ramen eggs
- Chili oil
Tips for the best Korean Cheese Ramen
This is a very simple recipe and basically fool-proofed, but here are a few tips to make the BEST Korean Cheese Ramen.
- Adjust the water amount if needed. We like our ramen to be on the creamier side, but if you would rather have a thinner soup, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Do not over cook your noodles. To make sure to not end up with soggy noodles, undercook your noodles by 1 minute using the ramen packet's instructions.
- Wait for the milk to bubble. To ensure the ramen soup has time to thicken, make sure to wait until the milk bubble.
- Turn off the heat before adding the cheese. This will ensure that the cheese doesn't drop at the bottom of the pan and ends up being stuck.
- Add chili oil for extra spice.
- Instant ramen will obivously be the base of this recipe. We love using samyang noodle soup, and chose the spicy version as we love a little kick! If you like your spice, we recommend using Shin Rayum.
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onion
Cook noodles. In a saucepan, boil 2 cups of water. Add ramen noodles and cook for 2 minutes.
Combine milk with noodles. Pour out water, Add milk to the sauce pan, and seasoning pack that came with the ramen noodles. Stir until the seasoning is dissolved.
Melt cheese serve! When the milk starts to thickens and bubble, add your green onions and turn off the heat. Finish it off by topping with your cheese.!
Korean Cheese Ramen
- 1 packet instant ramen
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cup water
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 fried egg optional
- In a saucepan, boil 2 cups of water. Add ramen noodles and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour out water, Add milk to the sauce pan, and seasoning pack that came with the ramen noodles. Stir until the seasoning is dissolved.
- When the milk starts to thickens and bubble, add your green onions and turn off the heat. Top your noodles with your slice cheese and fried egg.