Okay, we have a confession to make. We were never really big fans of sandwiches.We know, who doesn't like sandwiches, right? I guess we just got tired of them after having them for lunch everyday during our school years.
But we have a new found love for sandwiches now, especially when it involves crispy chicken and teriyaki sauce. The sandwiches we used to have were the most basic types, like ham and cheese or egg sandwiches. And now that we're grown ups (at least we think we are), we need our sandwiches to be a bit more fancy than just some sliced meat and processed cheese. And these Baked Crispy Chicken Sandwich with Teriyaki Sauce is what we need! Who says you can't make a gourmet-style sandwich at home? It's packed with veggies, rich and delicious teriyaki sauce, and crispy chicken that didn't involve any frying!
What makes a good sandwich for us: the textures! This is why we wanted to make a sandwich with some crispy chicken as the protein. If you're familiar with Japanese food, these kinds of sandwiches are also known as katsu sando in Japan, which is basically sandwiches with a fried breaded protein filling. But worry not guys, we made ours with BAKED crispy chicken. It basically tastes the same and we will still be able to fit into those summer outfits we just bought!
And don't forget to add other layers of texture with your favourite veggies. We love tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce in our sandwich since they give it so much freshness. But you can pretty much add any other veggies that you like! And as for the Teriyaki sauce, we use the recipe from our Chicken Teriyaki recipe, which is super yummy and took literally 5 minutes to make!
We're getting seriously obsessed with Asian sandwiches. There's Vietnamese Sandwich, or banh mi, and now this! We're definitely gonna experiment with other recipes for Asian-inspired sandwiches, and we'll definitely share with your guys if we find other yummy sandwiches. You can also check out our recipe index for more delicious Asian food! Hope you enjoy these Baked Crispy Chicken Sandwich with Teriyaki Sauce, and happy eating!
- 2 slices bread brown or white
- 1 medium chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tomato thinly sliced
- ¼ cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 lettuce leaf
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- 1 ½ tbsp mirin Japanese sweet rice wine
- To make the teriyaki sauce, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, ginger powder, and mirin in a saucepan and mix well. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water to make a slurry and add it into the soy sauce mixture. Cook the sauce over medium heat while stirring occasionally until thicker in consistency.If the sauce becomes too thick, add some hot water. Remove from heat and sauce aside.
- To make the baked crispy chicken, pound the chicken using a meat pounder until it is uniform in thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Coat chicken with all-purpose flour, then dip into beaten egg. Generously coat the chicken with Panko breadcrumbs. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake chicken in the oven at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 minutes, until crispy on the outside and tender and thoroughly cooked on the inside.
- Heat cooking pan on medium high heat and melt 2 teaspoons of butter. When the butter is completely melted and the pan is hot, grill both sides of each bread slice until golden brown. To assemble the sandwich, place the lettuce leaf, tomatoes, and cucumbers on a slice of toasted bread. Place the baked crispy chicken on top of the bed of vegetables, and pour Teriyaki sauce on top of the chicken. Close the sandwich with another slice of bread. The amount of Teriyaki sauce to put in varies according to your preferences.