This vegan & dairy free Korean banana milk is the perfect breakfast drink. It has a delicate sweetness with banana and vanilla flavors, paired with a rich yet light as milk texture. It's a fun way to get your fiber and potassium intake.
We love flavored milk, such as chocolate, strawberry, and honeydew. It reminds us so much of our childhood! And although this Korean banana milk is one of our recent discoveries, we are just as obsessed. It's so rich, but yet the texture is not so heavy and leave us wanting more every time.
What is Korean Banana Milk (바나나맛 우유)
Korean Banana Milk was first introduced in 1947 by the brand Binggrae, also known for the delicious Melona Ice cream. It was first released in the market with bottles shaped as traditional Korean jar, but are now wildly available in juice boxes. This South Korean drink was invented because the government wanted to encourage citizens to drink more milk, and since Banana was a popular luxurious fruit, they created the now famous Korean Banana milk.
It is also BTS Jungkook's favorite drink, which made the drink even more popular than it already was.
Craving more drinks? Check out our other recipes!
What does it taste like?
It simply taste like banana flavored milk! It has a rich and silky smooth banana flavor with a hint of vanilla, but the texture is just slightly creamy. However, the store-bought version is definitely a little bit different than if you make it at home since they add artificial flavors.
What is Korean Banana Milk made of and is it healthy?
The Binggrae Korean Banana milk is mainly made of Milk, Water, Sugar, Skim Milk Powder, Why Powder, Banana Juice Concentrate and Artificial Flavors.
By making this drink at home, using only 4 natural ingredients and avoiding artificial ingredients and preservatives, I would of course consider this as healthy! Plus, by using oat milk instead of regular milk, it makes this recipe vegan and dairy-free!
Where can I get Korean Banana Milk?
You can find this drink in your local Korean supermarket or Asian supermarket, but it is also available on Amazon here.
Tips to make the BEST Korean banana milk
Here's a few tips:
- Use a ripe banana for the best concentrated banana flavor and maximize natural sweetness.
- High-power blender is a must to make your drink silky smooth.
- You can swap the maple syrup by any preferred sugar. If you don't have maple syrup on hand, you can use honey (however, honey is not vegan). You can also use white sugar, but we prefer to stick to natural sweeteners. Additionally, you might have to adjust the level of sugar depending on how ripe is your banana.
- Adding water to the recipe is actually a very important step. The ratio of water to milk has to be balanced in order to create a milk like consistency when adding the rich texture of the banana. We personally found that a 3:4 ratio was just perfect!
- Chill before serving, or add ice! It will be so much more refreshing!
- You can refrigerate your drink for up to 2 days, although we suggest serving it immediately. Alternatively, you can make ice cream bars out of them!
This recipe uses 4 simple ingredients:
- Oat Milk: this can easily be replaced by your milk of your choice, however we personally think oat has the perfect texture for this drink,
- Maple syrup: or your preferred sweetener,
- Ripe banana,
- Vanilla extract: although optional, we believe it adds a hint a flavor that makes the drink just a smidge better! is it better to use a high quality one to have the best flavor,
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until silky smooth. Best served chilled. If you're feeling like having a treat, top it with vegan & dairy free whipped cream!
Vegan & Dairy Free Korean Banana Milk
- 1 banana riped
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- Combine all ingredients in your blender, and blend until silky smooth. Best served chilled.
OMG i looooove banana milk!
I'm super excited to try this recipe 😀
Buying banana milk gets pretty costly at some point haha
Thanks Bee! Hope you enjoy it as much as us 🙂
We love this healthier version of Banana milk!