With the wintry cold weather coming, we all need some comfort food to keep us warm at home. Our idea of comfort food is something saucy! Scratch that, something saucy over a bowl of hot steamed white rice! Yes, yes, yes!
This delicious pan-fried chicken with spicy red curry sauce is just what we need. It's hot and spicy, it's saucy, and it goes PERFECT with a bowl of steamed white rice. The sauce is so yummy I'd eat it alone with some white rice!
The key ingredient for this recipe is the red curry paste. We've tried a couple of red curry paste brands, but the Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste that we used for this recipe was definitely the best one we tried so far! It is pretty spicy though, so make sure to adjust to taste, like adding a bit more sugar and chicken broth to make the sauce a little less spicy, but not too much to not dilute the flavours!
The protein we used for this recipe is of course, our favourite, chicken thighs. It's juicy, it's tender, it's delicious, easy to cook, and goes great with so many sauces. You can also use chicken breast, although they tend to be less tender (although leaner and a bit healthier!). Whichever chicken part you use, adding cornstarch to the chicken marinade definitely helps make it more tender and juicy!
This spicy red curry chicken recipe is super easy, super delicious, and perfect for a comfy lazy dinner! For more chicken recipes, check out our Spicy and Crispy Orange Chicken and Easy Saucy Chicken and Onions Stir-Fry recipes.
We hope you enjoy this recipe and happy eating!
Spicy Red Curry Sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp red curry paste
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 lime's juice
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 green onion cut into long strips
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- cilantro for topping
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- To make the chicken, combine the chicken pieces with 1 tbsp of low-sodium soy-sauce, 1/4 tsp of black pepper, and 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch in a mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in pan over medium high heat. Add the marinated chicken into the pan and let pan-fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked thoroughly. Remove from heat and set aside in a separate bowl.
- To make the spicy red curry sauce, combine 1 1/2 tbsp of red curry paste, 3 tbsp of low-sodium soy sauce, 1 tsp of oyster sauce, 1/2 tbsp of granulated sugar, and 1 tsp of hoisin sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To make the cornstarch slurry, combine 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium high heat and add the sliced onions. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes or until tender and fragrant. Add the red curry sauce mixture into the pan and stir fry for another minute until evenly combined with the onions. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and mix well. Bring sauce to a gentle boil and add in the cornstarch slurry while continuously stirring the sauce with a spatula. Continue stirring until sauce comes back to a boil and thickens. Add in the cooked chicken and green onions and combine well. Remove from heat and add in 3/4 of lime's juice and mix well. Serve with white rice and cilantro.