If there's one sauce that I constantly dream about is hollandaise sauce. Most people eat it with eggs benedict, and they are super yummy. But there's so much more to this sauce! Honestly, you can eat it with so many other savoury food, like baked potatoes or french fries, the list goes on! While it is amazingly delicious, it does contain a loooooot of fat... And it's all from the butter. That yummy butter. But hey, these days there's always a way to make anything healthier! In this recipe, I replaced the butter with whole milk, which significantly reduces the fat content while still tasting just as dee-licious. And I put 1/6 teaspoon of cayenne pepper because I love spicy stuff, but if you can't handle spiciness that much then I'd suggest adding only a pinch of cayenne pepper. In the video, we paired the hollandaise sauce with our very own potato hash and poached eggs, which was honestly indescribable. It's like something that you would get a very nice, hip, brunch restaurant, or even better! If you guys are interested in a recipe for the potato hash, stay tuned cause we'll be posting one soon! But for now, check out the recipe for our no-butter, healthier, spicy hollandaise sauce.
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- The juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1/6 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- In a heat-proof mixing bowl, mix together the egg yolks, milk, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- In a saucepan similar in size to the mixing bowl, bring water to a simmer and place the mixing bowl on the simmering water.
- Whisk the sauce in the mixing bowl on the simmering water until thicker or until it reaches the desired consistency. Add water if the consistency is too thick.
Leave a Reply