While we love cooking and spending time in the kitchen experimenting with new things, some days (like today) we're just tired and lazy. So we always try to have quick and easy recipes on hand to prepare for days like these. And quick recipes don't always have to be bland-tasting and boring! This 20-Minute Asian Pork and Shrimp Rice Plate is the perfect example of how an easy recipe can be sooo amazingly tasty.
We live for simple recipes like these. Sometimes a simple stir-fry dish or a bowl of rice with some ground pork is all we need. And the thing we love the most about this Asian Pork and Shrimp Rice Plate is how moist and tender the meat is. We'll admit, sometimes ground pork can be a bit dry. But in this recipe, we combined the ground pork with some shrimp and eggs to make it more juicy and tender. And the important part is also to make some sort of sauce to bring the ground meat together. So instead of having a dry, separated ground pork meat, we'll have a tender, moist, ground pork meat that is kept together by chili-like textured sauce.
And here's the most important part: egg yolk! The egg yolk is kinda optional and kinda not. It's optional cause well, it's your choice if you want to add an egg yolk or not and you can easily eat without it since it serves as a topping. But it's kinda not optional cause it's TOO DANG GOOD with it! The egg yolk brings the whole dish together and make everything extra moist and tender. So if you do have eggs in your fridge, go ahead and add a yolk on top of this Asian Pork and Shrimp Rice Plate! Since we don't really like to eat them raw, we make soft boiled eggs first and take the runny yolk to put on top of the dish.
That's our recipe for today folks, hope you guys enjoy! If you're looking for other quick recipes, check out our Easy and Quick Creamy Spicy Miso Ramen and 15-Minute Asian Garlic Sesame Noodles recipes. Happy eating!
- 5 ounces ground pork
- 3 ounces shrimp
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp green onions finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 egg for topping
- 3-4 lettuce leaves
- 2 cups white rice cooked
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- To make the soft boiled egg, place a cold egg in a saucepan without turning on the heat. Pour boiling water into the saucepan, submerging the egg in the water. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 14-15 minutes. Remove egg from water and transfer to a bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Remove the shrimp shells and place shrimps in a food processor. Grind until smooth and creamy. Transfer shrimps into a mixing bowl. Into the mixing bowl, add the ground pork, egg, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, green onions, and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat canola oil on a pan over medium high heat. Add the ground pork mixture into the pan and cook for about 1 minute, breaking them slightly into smaller pieces. Add another 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar and water, and 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch and combine well. Stir for another minute or until the meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve meat on top of lettuce leaves and rice on a plate. Top with the soft boiled eggs (whole or just the egg yolk, according to preference).