This Korean green onion salad is the perfect simple side dish to any grilled meat. It requires only a handful of ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes, adds umami flavor and cuts fat to any fatty meat.
What is Korean green onion salad
Korean green onion salad, also known as pachae muchim (파채무침), pa muchim (파무침), and pajeori (파절이), is a popular side dish that is often served in Korean barbecue joints. This banchan is most commonly eaten with grilled pork belly (Samgyeopsal, 삼겹살). It's a very simple recipe that consist of thinly sliced green onions with light seasoning. It's refreshing, slightly spicy and acidic, and pairs very well with fatty meat. This is one of our favorite Korean side dish as it is so easy to make, but yet super tasty and spices up any grilled meat. If you love banchans, try out our Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad, Korean Marinated Eggs (Mayak Gyeran) or Creamy Korean Corn Cheese.
Tips to make the best Korean green onion salad
- Buy pre-cut green onions at your local Korean supermarket.
- If pre-cut green onions are not available, use a cutter like this one.
- Place green onions in ice bath until you're ready to assemble with the sauce. It will also make the green onions less pungent.
- Only assemble the green onions and sauce when ready to serve. This dish cannot be made ahead. However, the green onions can be cut up to 24 hours in advance if dried, wrapped in paper towels in a plastic bag and kept in the fridge.
- If you would like your salad to not wilt too fast, omit the soy sauce and vinegar.
There is many variations to this Korean green onion salad, some more seasoned than others. In restaurant, they will usually only add gochugaru, sesame oil and sesame seeds. They purposely avoid putting salt or soy sauce because it will make the green onions much faster. However, our favorite way to have it is with added soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. It's so flavorful and add a lot of umami flavors to your grilled meat. It is also easy to swap regular soy sauce for gluten-free to accomodate for dietary restrictions.
How to serve
We love to have this Korean green onion salad when we're making Korean barbecue at home. We serve it with grilled pork belly, or meat of choice, sliced garlic pieces, fresh herbs such as perilla leaves, and romaine lettuce to serve as wraps.
What we love about this recipe is that it only requires a few ingredients that are staples in our pantry.
- Green Onions, or scallions;
- Soy Sauce;
- Sesame Oil;
- Rice Vinegar, or white vinegar;
- Sesame Seed.
Thinly slice the green onions. Chop green onion stalks in 2 inches and then thinly slice.
Thoroughly rinse. This step will ensure to get rid of any slime on the green onions. Make sure to let drain before proceeding to the next step.
Combine ingredients to make the sauce. In a medium bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, gochugaru, sugar and sesame seeds.
Serve! Enjoy with grilled meat and your other favorite banchans!
If you have any leftover, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is better to eat it right away, but can be store 1 or 2 days in the fridge.
Korean Green Onion Salad (Pa Muchim)
- 4 stalk green onion
- 1 tbsp soy sauce low-sodium
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp gochugaru
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Cut the green onion stalks into 4 inches length. Slice the green onions with a knife or with a slicer.
- Thoroughly rinse the green onion slices and remove excess water.
- In a medium bowl, combine together soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, gochugaru, sugar and sesame seeds.
- Add the green onion slices to the bowl and toss everything together until well combined.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with grilled meat!