In our last blog recipe, we talked about Avocado Toast with Poached Egg being a healthier breakfast/brunch meal alternative. But of course, once in a while we do crave some indulgent food for brunch, and they usually involves fried potatoes, more specifically hashbrowns! If you're like us, then you also love McDonald's hashbrowns that they offer on their breakfast menu. Their hashbrowns go very well with any other breakfast items they have on their menu. But we can't eat breakfast at McDonald's everyday can't we? So as per usual, we decided that there is nothing that we cannot make ourselves at home and we made our own crispy hashbrowns! And we're not gonna lie, it's even better when you make it at home! And we didn't use those pre-packaged hashbrowns that they sell in the frozen aisle at the supermarket. We actually made them from fresh potatoes with fresh ingredients. Granted, it is still fried, but using fresh ingredients alone makes it a lot healthier. These hashbrowns are so delicious that we often make it for lunch, dinner, or for snacks too. The edges are so crispy while the centre is soft and moist, just perfection! As I'm writing this blog post, I'm eating the last piece of the batch of hashbrowns we made and I'm contemplating of making another batch because it's so good. Just follow these simple steps and you'll have yourself some brunch-restaurant-quality hashbrowns!
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons of chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of chopped green onion
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel off the potato skins and grate the potatoes. Soak the grated potatoes in cold water for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain and dry the grated potatoes thoroughly using kitchen towel.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the grated potatoes, flour, egg white, onion, green onion, and salt and pepper. Add some cayenne pepper for some spiciness to the hashbrowns.
- Heat oil of about 1/8 inch of depth in a frying pan for to shallow fry the potatoes.
- Scoop one heaping tablespoon of grated potatoes mixture and place in oil, and quickly flatten it out in order to achieve maximum crispiness. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Leave a Reply