Happy Monday everyone! Today's recipe is a really interesting one, especially if you're currently following a fitness diet and are trying to increase your protein intake. We're definitely in that boat and we've been drinking our share of protein shake for a while now. While that's efficient and great, we kinda got a little bit tired of it. So these past few days we've been searching and experimenting with a couple of whey protein-filled recipes. And we found one that would definitely be great for breakfast: gluten-free protein chocolate waffles!
We decided to make it gluten-free and used some oat flour because we do want to try to eat healthier. And eating flourless waffles made with oat flour does take some getting used to. The oat flour taste is an acquired taste and to be honest, the first time I tried it, I didn't like it that much. But once you get used to it, it'll definitely be one of your favorite things to eat!
We added some chocolate-flavoured whey protein in the waffle batter for the protein, but if you prefer vanilla-flavoured ones then you can definitely use it. In a typical waffle batter, people usually put whole eggs. But for this recipe, since we do want to make it less fatty, we only used the egg whites. It actually works better. We tried the batter using whole eggs, and the waffles didn't come out as fluffy and soft as we'd like them to be. But when we only used the egg whites in the batter, the waffles were a lot softer and lighter. So ditch the egg yolks for this recipe folks!
You can pretty much top the waffles with anything, but preferably fresh fruits if you want to stay on the healthier side. The toppings of our choice were fresh strawberries, as per usual. We also poured some maple syrup and melted some dark chocolate for dipping sauce.
We really loved how this turned out and now we can get our proteins from another way than drinking protein shakes. We're definitely gonna be looking at other protein-filled recipes, so be on the lookout for that! If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below and we'll gladly answer back! Enjoy this protein-filled goodness and as usual, happy eating!
- 3/4 cup of oat flour
- 1 scoop of gluten-free chocolate whey protein
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2/5 cup of soy milk
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup (and some extra for topping)
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Some fresh strawberries
- Combine the oat flour, whey protein, egg whites, baking powder, soy milk, maple syrup, canola oil, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Mix well, but don't over mix it.
- Lightly grease the waffle iron with some oil to prevent the waffles from sticking.
- Heat waffle iron at medium high. Once it is hot enough, pour batter into the waffle iron and follow the manufacturer's instruction. Each waffle iron is different depending on the manufacturer. Ours take about 2 minutes until it is cooked and golden brown.
- Remove from waffle iron and place on a plate. Top with fresh fruits and maple syrup.