So, we have a confession to make. Our new year's resolution this year was to become healthier and more fit. I know, it's such a cliché resolution, but hey we want that beach body! And we often feel kinda sluggish with all the junk food we eat on movie nights, we really just need to be healthier. So to achieve this goal, we started working out regularly. And while that's fun and stuff, the hard part is to control what we eat. We're basically fatties at heart, so this one is a challenge for us! And I know a lot of people are on the same boat as us when it comes to cutting back on fattening foods, we just have no self control!! But one thing that people often mistakenly think is that healthy food cannot be delicious. Well, my friend, we're here to tell you that that is just a myth. You just need to be a little creative and have an open mind.
This week we were craving some delicious, creamy fettuccine alfredo. We can all agree that creamy white sauce is pretty dangerous for our diet. But after a lot of research and experiments, we finally found an alternative to your traditional creamy white sauce: the cauliflower creamy sauce! Yes, we're using cauliflowers, and yes, they're veggies so it's good for you! It also has that same creamy, rich texture that a white sauce has without having to use any cheese. We're obsessed! And what a great way to disguise veggies and transform it into something so decadent and just plain delicious. So for those of you who don't like your veggies, you have no excuse now! On a side note, in this recipe we used regular fettuccines, and while that is quite a lot of carbs, we just can't help it we love pasta too much and we need our carbs for energy. But if you're opting to go full out lean, then you can always replace the fettuccines with some zucchini pasta and the milk with some unsweetened almond milk. Or if you want the carbs and don't really feel like eating fettuccines, you can always substitute with other sorts of pasta or carb that you like. We think this sauce could also be amazing with some risotto, we'll definitely give that a try one day!
- 5 cups of cauliflower florets
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Some chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Some crushed chili for garnish (optional)
- Cut cauliflower into florets and boil in water until soft and tender.
- Once the cauliflowers are tender, remove from boiling water and transfer to a food processor.
- Add in the chicken broth and milk into the food processor and blend until the mixture is very smooth.
- In a pan, cook garlic and onions with unsalted butter until soft and fragrant. Do not brown the garlic and the onions.
- Once the garlic and onions on the pan are soft, pour in the blended cauliflower mixture into the pan and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the pasta of your choice into the sauce pan and mix well.
- Garnish with some parsley and crushed chili if desired.