I know it sounds a bit out there, but trust me it's sooo delicious! We have a bit of an obsession with fusion cuisine, and what better way to do it then mixing up two of our favorite cuisines; Chinese and Mexican! We've been a fan of taquitos ever since we bought the frozen box that Costco sells. I know, it's frozen food and we only eat it once in a while, but omg are they yummy! Then we thought, why don't we make one ourselves? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, some people sometimes forget that you can basically make everything yourself at home. You just need to have a little bit of patience and some time to make them.
Anyways, back to taquitos. For those of you who are less familiar with this Mexican delicacy, it's basically a rolled-up taco with some meat and cheese filling inside. Oh, and the best part is that it's crisp-fried! I know, sounds amazing right? But, as I have already mentioned, we made this dish with a twist. We had some spring roll wrappers lying around in our fridge, and we thought why not try to use them to make the taquitos? Overtime we tried Asian-Latino fusion food we've always loved it. And let me tell you, we LOVE these spring roll wrapper taquitos. Of course it's not authentic by any means, but it's fun and delicious! And it's so simple to make. You just cook the chicken, roll the wrappers, and fry! It's perfect if you're having a small gathering and you just want to munch on something while you sit back and chat with your friends. And don't forget to serve it with some homemade guacamole and salsa!
INGREDIENTS (yields 9 taquito rolls)
- Square spring roll wrappers (can be bought at Asian supermarkets)
- 300 g of boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tbsp of salsa
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Chop chicken into small cubes. In a mixing bowl, mix together the cubed chicken, salsa, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, red chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Let marinade in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- In a cooking pan, heat 1 1/2 tbsp of canola oil and cook marinated chicken at medium high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender and thoroughly cooked (it won't take as much time to cook since the chicken is cut into small cubes). Remove from heat and let cool.
- Lay the square spring roll wrappers on a flat surface and place about 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp of chicken in a line along one side of the wrapper square. Place about 2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken, spreading evenly. Roll up the rapper, forming a tight cylinder with open ends and the chicken filling inside. Repeat process with the rest of the chicken filling.
- Pour canola oil into a frying pan, about 1 1/2 cm deep. Fry rolls at medium high heat for about 30 seconds on each side or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from oil and drain off excel oil using kitchen towels.