We all have our own guilty pleasures when it comes to food. For us, a guilty pleasure usually involves some ooey gooey cheese or something deep fried. We admit they are very indulgent and heavy, but once in a while it can be so satisfying. But hey, I guess that’s why they call them guilty pleasures! It was just a few years ago that we first tried a guilty pleasure that not only satisfies our cravings for indulgent food, but is also deep fried and is made with cheese, the perfect combination for us! And yes, you all probably have guessed it, we’re talking about fried mozzarella sticks. We’ve been hooked ever since we first tried this ooey gooey goodness, but we felt a bit too guilty every time we eat them. We either bought them at a fast food restaurant chain, or from the frozen section at the store. But we thought, hey why don’t we try making them at home!? We often forget that we can practically make anything at home if we wanted to. So we came up with this recipe for our very own fried mozzarella sticks. We added some jalapeno peppers inside the sticks, because why not? But honestly, the slight spiciness and crunchiness of the jalapenos perfectly compliment the saltiness and softness of the mozzarella cheese. And for those of you who don’t like spicy things, worry not! You can take off all the seeds from the jalapeno and it won’t be as spicy but would still provide the crunch and taste of the jalapeno. We find these jalapeno mozzarella sticks to be perfect for a night in for something to munch on, or when you have guests over and you want to serve them some snacks or appetizers while you entertain. Just follow the few simple steps and you are in for a real treat!
- 270g of mozzarella cheese
- 30g of grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/2 of jalapeno
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups of bread crumb
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Cut mozzarella cheese into sticks of equal size
- Make a slit with a depth of about 3/4 of the thickness of the stick along the longer length of the stick.
- Slice jalapeno in long strips and place each strip into the slit of each mozzarella stick.
- Whisk together eggs, heavy cream, pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place bread crumb, grated parmesan cheese, garlic powder, dried parsley, and salt and pepper in another bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Coat each mozzarella stick with all-purpose flour, then dip in the egg mixture, and finally coat with bread crumb mixture. Once coated with bread crumb, dip again into the egg mixture and coat again with bread crumb mixture. This will seal the mozzarella cheese better for frying.
- Put the coated mozzarella sticks in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours.
- When completely frozen and ready to fry, heat oil in a saucepan at 375 degrees F.
- Fry each mozzarella stick for about 30-45 seconds, or until golden brown.