Hey guys! Welcome to our blog and for our first post, we thought we’d share with you a recipe of a dessert that we are completely obsessed with: Caramel Custard Pudding (also called caramel flan)! Last summer, we went to Japan for the first time. As anyone who have already been to Japan would know, their convenience stores are amazing. They sell practically anything you can think of, from sushi, to spaghetti, to caramel custard pudding! And the food they sell in these convenience stores are surprisingly reaaally good. Anyways, back to subject, we fell in love with this pudding when we first tasted it. It’s basically very similar to the Spanish Caramel Flan that we know, and both versions are equally mouth-watering. The light, yet creamy texture of the custard pudding coupled with the sweet caramel sauce is just YUM! So naturally we crave this custard pudding a lot since we got back from Japan. But who says you have to be in Japan to eat them? We decided to make our own version of it and it is just as yummy! So if you guys would like to try this pudding/flan (why wouldn’t you?), follow these few steps and in a matter of minutes you will be basking in on some seriously delicious treat 🙂
INGREDIENTS (Recipe yields 3 caramel flans)
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of water
A drop of lemon juice
2 whole eggs
5 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of milk
3 equal-sized ramekins (about 150 ml each)
1. To make caramel, pour sugar and water into a saucepan and mix until sugar is completely diluted. Bring mixture to a boil at medium heat and let it boil until the mixture browns and becomes more consistent.
2. Pour caramel sauce into each ramekin equally and quickly, since the caramel hardens up rapidly.
3. To make the flan, mix the eggs and sugar in a bowl with a whisk. Heat the milk in microwave for about 30-40 seconds. Pour the heated milk gradually into the eggs and sugar mixture bowl while continuously whisking. Pass the flan mixture through a mesh strainer in order to make the flan mixture smooth and even.
4. Pour the flan mixture into each ramekin equally. Cover each ramekin with aluminum foil.
5. Place the ramekins on a sheet cake pan and fill the sheet with water, just enough to cover about 3/4 inch from the bottom of the ramekins. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes.
6. Once the flans achieve the desired firm pudding texture, remove from heat. Let cool and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. To unmold, run a knife around the rim of the ramekin and then invert onto a plate.