We love breakfast and brunch so much that we sometimes eat them for dinner. Fried eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, hash brown, you name it, we love it. But sometimes we do feel a bit guilty eating all those fatty food and to be completely honest, it may not be the best meal to eat every morning. But thankfully, we were graced by the existence of avocado toast, which satisfies our craving for a delicious, indulgent brunch meal and is still very healthy. There are many variations of avocado toast and frankly, you can add anything you want into the mashed avocado (maybe not chocolate or sugar, but you get the point). We consider ourselves amateurs of avocado toast, and have tried making this dish using different ingredients. We finally found the ultimate flavour combination with this recipe of avocado toast. The combination of the tanginess of the lemon juice, the flavour of the shallots, and the kick from the red pepper flakes is simply delicious. And the addition of the poached egg with a melty, runny yolk along with the crispiness of the bread just brings everything together perfectly! And the best thing is that this avocado toast is still a lot healthier than most brunch meals. Try out this recipe and you’ll have yourself a healthy feast for breakfast!
- 1 avocado
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 slices of white or brown bread
- 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place on baking tray with the buttered side up and bake at 380 degrees F for about 12 minutes or until edges are crispy and golden brown.
- Cut avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and mash in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, shallots, and red pepper flakes into the mashed avocado. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spread mashed avocado on the baked bread slices. Set aside.
- Add enough water to come up about 2 inches the side of a saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and one teaspoon of vinegar. Bring water to a simmer.
- Crack an egg into a ramekin and gently pour egg into simmering water and quickly stir the water in one direction using a spoon. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 3 minutes.
- When egg whites look firm and cooked, place poached eggs on top of the avocado toast.